We try to be as accurate as possible when measuring customers, but your hands can fluctuate in size (seasonal/climate changes, time of day, body temperature, salt intake/water retention, etc.) and not all rings fit exactly the same due to your finger shape. Sizing isn't an exact science. Most, but not all, rings can be adjusted up or down slightly without a problem. This process usually takes two to three weeks. If we're unsure to what degree, if any, it needs to be sized and/or your wedding is too close, we recommend using it for your event and we'll be glad to size it later.
- We strongly recommend that you have your finger measured at the end of the day when your finger size is most normal. Your finger size will change slightly throughout the day, depending on temperature, weather, activity, etc. Your fingers tend to be a little puffy in the morning, they will shrink a little when cold and expand slightly when hot, but typically settle into a normal size during the day. For this reason, do not size your finger after exercising, drinking copious amounts of alcohol, or eating a lot of spicy food.
- Please remember that the wider your wedding band is, the tighter it will fit. If you are looking at a ring that is extra wide, 7mm or wider, you should order your band at least a 1/4 size larger than the size of your actual finger size.
- If in doubt, choose the smaller size. Remember, more sizing mistakes are made by ordering rings too large rather than too small.
- If your wedding band seems to be a little too large or too small, we suggest you wear it for a few days to get used to it before exchanging it for a different size. The Japanese say it takes two weeks for your finger to learn to wear the ring. If your ring fits at the ideal time of day and is easy to put on and a little hard to take off it is the correct fit. Your ring will never fit perfectly in all conditions, but you will get used to the way it feels during all conditions. Your fingers change size about 3 or 4 times in the course of a normal day. So it is highly recommended that you give your ring a test drive to determine if sizing is really necessary. Of course if it is really too big don't wear it out of the house, you might actually lose it.
- We do not recommend wearing a ring that is too loose. You will be unable to wear it swimming and there is a big chance it could go sailing off your finger on a cold day.
- Finding the proper fit can be a challenge, so if you've followed all of the guidelines and helpful hints we've given, sometimes the ring is just not right. We are happy to offer one complimentary ring sizing for you within 90 days of purchase. After that time period there will be a nominal charge for sizing.
Q: WHAT DO I DO IF I'M BUYING A RING AS A PRESENT AND I DON'T KNOW THE RING SIZE?
A: If you’re buying a ring as a gift, we recommend purchasing the store sample. It can be sized for free within 90 days or exchanged within 30 days. Most samples sizes are 6-6.5 and 10-10.5. If you special order a ring based on a size estimate, it may not be easy to alter if the size is off. In the case of certain styles such as diamond eternity bands, the size can’t be changed at all, so it’s definitely better to purchase a sample and then bring it back to re-order in the right size.
Q: WHAT DO I DO IF MY RING NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED?
A: Rings purchased from The Clay Pot are guaranteed against defect within 90 days. If you have any repair issues, we'll send the ring back to the jeweler who made it for inspection. They'll assess the extent of damage and call us with a repair estimate. Fees will vary.
Q: CAN YOU SIZE MY RING WHILE I WAIT?
A: No, we don’t do any sizings or repairs in-house. We send all rings and jewelry back to the artists that made them, so they are responsible for the workmanship. Sizing takes approximately 2-3 weeks and is covered free of charge within 90 days of purchase or pickup. Beyond 90 days, fees will vary, depending on the amount of labor and materials involved.